Thursday 30 May 2013

Book Haul

I have a confession to make: I am obsessed with books. I love to read and I want to buy books all the time. If I didn't have to spend money on food and clothes, I would just spend it on books. Since my study finances came in last week I decided that it was time to go and buy new books. So me and my friend Cora went to lovely Waterstones in Amsterdam to indulge ourselves.



Sigh, I want to live in Waterstones. I hadn't been there for quite a while so I was excited to go. What more ways to enjoy the day than to buy books right?! When I lived in England we had a Waterstones in our town, which was good for me but not so good for my bank account. And the books are so much cheaper in England than The Netherlands as well. I cannot buy new books every two weeks anymore, sad times. However, now buying books is a trip for me and that is also exciting. I ended up buying four books off my to-read list.



I look way too excited in this picture. But these are my lovely new babies! I bought:
  • William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair. A classic that I haven't read yet.
  • T.H. White - The Once and Future King. A book retelling the stories of King Arthur and Merlin, one of my favourite tales of all time.
  • Jasper Fforde - Shades of Grey. This book explains a dystopia where people are ranked by seeing colours. The more colours you see the higher ranked you are. Seems interesting enough for me.
  • Margaret Atwood - The edible woman. I love Atwood's poems so I though I gave her books a try. This book summary starts with: 'Marian is determinedly ordinary, waiting to get married.' Well, I think I will like this book just by this sentence since I'm an romanticist by heart.
I'll let you know how I get on. If you want to follow me on Good Reads, you can :)

Have a good week!

3 comments:

  1. Haha I think we went into that exact Waterstones when we were in Amsterdam last year, I don't know why I remember it!

    Generally I buy books online cause it's so much cheaper that way, but browsing in a bookstore is ebtter when you haven't really got any in mind.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoaa, I'm glad you went without asking me haha! I have so many books on my shelves that I still need to read TT__TT Waterstones is theee booooomb.

    Did you already start 1Q84 by the way? I just finished part one (I finally picked it up again while in Berlin). It's so good but so weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! I spend SO MUCH MONEY but I've already started one of them and it love it ^^

      No, I started with 1Q84 but I didn't finish it because I had to do my dissertation so no books allowed. I think I'm going to read it again in the summer. I can remember that it was very strange indeed. But it should be good because Murakami :3

      Delete