Thursday 9 May 2013

Being a Big Woman

Picture from here

Today I want to talk about body image. I know that I'm not an expert or a professional but I do think it is an important thing to discuss. Lately I have been hearing to much about body images and it makes me so angry sometimes. I truly believe that our world these days (even over the last decade) is obsessed with skinny women. But like, really skinny women. And I don't understand why. First of all, being skinny does not mean that you're healthy, it doesn't mean that you're better than others and it definitely doesn't mean that you're more beautiful than bigger women. Although these are just plain simple truths, the media keep pushing people to go on a diet and especially celebrities are being pushed "to set an example". And what example is that? That's right, being skinny.

I decided to do some research. I read an article in Psychology magazine called 'Why too big? Why we should stop being obsessed about weight'. The article explains that women who are a little bigger are being bullied by other, intentionally or unintentionally. Because the media sets us with an example, women who don't look like that are not accepted according to the magazine. And I agree. The other day I was in a shop to look for summer stuff for my holiday and they didn't have my size on the rack and the lady who was helping me carefully asked me that maybe I should look at the 'plus size' section. This is so insulting! First of all, I am 1.80 m (5.9") and I weigh 80 kilo (176 pounds). According to the BMI index, I am still perfectly fine on the scale. Maybe a little to the right side (the bigger side shall we say) but perfectly fine. And then some little skinny brat has the nerve to say that to me. I am a size 12/14 people! Anyway, what I am trying to say is that people should stop being so obsessed with being skinny. They seem to forget something that's called a body type. A body type is the types, pear shaped, apple shaped etc. Women have different shapes and they will always have different shapes and sizes. If you a really skinny and small you're okay but if you are a little bigger you are supposed to fit a box that clearly doesn't fit you. And why should we?

Another thing said about bigger women is that they are less happy. I always want to punch people in the face whenever I hear that. I have met bigger women (I am a big woman) and I am perfectly happy. Maybe I am stressed or tired, but that has to do with factors of life (in my case, trying to graduate) and has NOTHING to do with my body weight. I don't even weigh myself that often! I literally haven't met any women that said they're unhappy because they are a little bigger. Most are even proud of it. Stop fitting people in boxes that they (literally) can't fit in and look at their personality. Let's all be kinder to one another shall we? And accept us for who we are. There are of course issues with being a little bigger. According to the Psychology article there are a few factors that indicate that you are too overweight:
  1. When people with obesity have an illness related to/because of their weight, like diabetes/sleeping diseases,
  2. When they get psychological problems related to their weight, like becoming depressed,
  3. They they are unable to perform daily tasks and,
  4. When they get high blood pressure, high cholesterol, devious blood sugar or too much belly fat (although all these problems are able to happen to skinny people as well)
All these issues have to do with whether you are eating heathy and taking exercises. With eating healthily, I mean don't only eat McDonalds or too much products with high fats. This doesn't mean you can't eat chocolate or anything you don't want to, just play it safe. Also with exercise, it doesn't mean going to the gym 5 times a week, or doing exercises every day; just try to walk as much as you can, bicycle somewhere if it's not too far and take the stairs. If you can go to the gym that is good but only because of eliminating changed you might get sick (think of heart diseases or high blood pressure). 

Basically what I'm trying to say: be happy with who you are and what you look like. If you have issues with yourself, always check you insides first (emotions, character trades) and then the way you look. You don't have to be skinny to be happy and you definitely don't have to lose weight then others tell you to. It is your life and if you are happy with the way you look, then sod them!


(I would also like to apologise for the rant, sorry) Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Posted at 5 am. That explains a lot.
    YOURE NOT A BIG WOMAN. You just said so yourself.
    Also, screw the skinny bitch at the shop, maybe she should perform a Check du Realite and realise her life work exists exclusively of folding clothes and bitching.
    LOVE, ALWAYS :) V

    ReplyDelete